Wednesday 10 September 2014

1st day at Wakiso health centre

Well what can I say there's plenty of work for me to do but, where should I start.
I was met by sister Betty who only spent 5-10 minutes with me  not really knowing who I was or who had sent me. I was then taken to the maternity department which was in the middle of a busy ANC. I met with 5 midwives and just mucked in to see about 40 women. Once clinic was over things calmed down and I was introduced to everyone. Eventually there was just one midwife, Jennifer left alone in the department to attend to what ever came in. We saw another 2 patients before I went home at 1730.

The clinic is small it has a labour room with 2 beds, a USS room, a room for the midwives, a post/antenatal room with 6 beds and a coach and a waiting room. Over the last 10 days there have been 34 deliveries at the clinic and 6 transfers out to the main hospital 2 were p/n transfers the others in labour. The health centre has a theatre but that was locked up. the midwives told me they can perform c/s but the doctors are very busy so usually transfer people. There is no transport for transfers the women have to get there under their own steam. Its 12 miles away! and once at the hospital in Kampala and seen by a doctor there is a 4 hour wait for an emergency c/s!?

As you can tell its challenging and hard to see how you can help change some things.

One women and her husband did arrive in labour only to be told that she hadn't with her the compulsory pack containing gloves and things for delivery. The mw didn't assess her in any way just turned her away to go and buy the pack. They walked away and returned about 2 hours later with gloves and pack. This women was G4P3 and HIV + . All women in Uganda are entitled to the birthing pack free of charge.
midwife Jennifer

sent away

No comments:

Post a Comment