Tuesday 16 September 2014

16/9/14 department meeting

Well today I went early to attend the department meeting, true to form I need not have got up early as it started late.
I was able to meet Sister Robina a very nice midwife who was keen to implement some of my suggestions.

  • The 1st was that every women coming for A/N check should have a BP checked and recorded and a follow up by a doctor if it wasn't normal. This mornings clinic had 3 follow ups organised and I saw a doctor for the 1st time since I have been here.
  • The 2nd was that the midwives take responsibility for their emergency packs. There are 3 bags under the delivery trolley for PPH Pre-eclampsia and NN resus. so this afternoon we have cleaned and restocked them. They're now in a fit state to use.
  • The 3rd was to ban the use of needle's or broken vials to perform ARM. this was more difficult to get them to understand how dangerous it was to both midwives and mums and babies.
  • I have also discussed the use of a Ugandan document called the 5 S's. which talks about organisation and cleaning as well as other things.
  • They have blown up the birthing ball and were keen for someone in labour to arrive to use it.


I think these small changes will make a difference to the women coming for care at the health centre. I just hope it all continues after I leave.
I did want every women to have a urinalysis. but that was pushing it too far. One thing at a time, small steps.
Didn't get time for lunch today but made up for it with a nice meal at posh restaurant in Kampala and a bottle of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment